Monday, February 21, 2005

5 year plan

I can't continue to mooch off of my parents generocity. I can't remain to waist my youth without being somewhat prodective. I need to think ahead if I want to move up and do great things. And I have.

Right here right now, I need to flesh out the rough draft outline of the 5 year essay that will document my future.

In 5 years I want to become a professional game developer at a mid-ground development complany. This means a salary, and a possition higher then intern in the art department. The company must have a history in sucessfully releasing at least one game on the market that sold for regular price.

In order to do this I first need a healthy portfolio and a website to back up my capabilities. Then I need to find the right companies that fit my interests and apply to them. If all goes well I should be moved and possitioned where I want within 2 years and will have plenty of time to make myself an indespencible asset to them.

So that means that this year is crutial and I need to do the following:
- Keep my day job and save to the money I need to relocate
- Complete a project to add to my portfolio every month!
- Redesign and update my website
- Research companies for the right matches
- Do more projects for Carlo if possible
- Update my knowledge about game design and 3d art.
- Maybe take some night classes to get some general education.

Then year 2 will be where I mass apply to companies across the US. I should have a job march if I make it to GDC. Then I will have moved by the summer and started working. By christmas release of year 2 I should have my name on another game.
By year 3 and 4 I will either be moving up in the company or finding a new place to work. The last year will be a buffer in case something doesnt work out or I get distracted.

The 10-year plan would be to move on into the larger, more popular compaines.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home